You might think Maggie is jumping the gun a little bit. I mean, it’s only the first week of October. But I get it. English majors don’t really have time for pleasure reading during the semester, and Maggie may have less time than most because she also works a zillion jobs. (Slight exaggeration. But only slight.) A whole month to read whatever you want feels decadent and wonderful after a semester of reading what you’re assigned.
I couldn’t resist this tweet because Maggie is my reading soul twin. And here are the books I think she should read over Christmas break:
1. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein because it’s my favorite book of the year, and since we’re reading soul twins, it might become Maggie’s favorite too!
2. Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hr Bookstore by Robin Sloan because Maggie is a bookish sort of girl and this is a bookish sort of book.
3. Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan because Maggie is also an amazing artist and likes weird stuff, and this book has amazing art and weird stuff.
4. Lost Cat by Caroline Paul because Maggie likes cats and appreciates people who have obsessive interests, and this book is about a woman who becomes obsessed with figuring out where her outdoor cat goes when he’s not at home.
5. Relish by Lucy Knipple because Maggie likes graphic novels and this is one of my favorites of the year.
6. Paris in Love by Eloisa James because Maggie misses France too.
7. The Lovers’ Dictionary by David Levithan because its quirky structure and sharp insights about love will stay with Maggie for a long time.
8. The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde because there is magic and dragons and plenty of ironic British humor.